Monday, June 22, 2015

Expanding the Classroom Walls, Fort Snelling



Fort Snelling is one of Minnesota's treasures.  It's a site were great history took place.  One of the first to be settled, tragic suffering of our native people, slavery of blacks in the 'free world', and hero's were born here in World War II with interpreters for the US Army.  There is so much history to be found at this site that one visit will never allow one to obtain everything.


Our 5th graders learn about Minnesota history so this is often a great site that many of the schools in our district love to take.  I liked this visit because, where as I am not traveling with my students on this trip, I have more of an idea of how I can support the trip.  There were many chores and craft ideas I got from visiting the site.


The other portion of Fort Snelling that I was really unaware of was the state park and biking paths that are there.  I happened to stumble across a geocache site as well... That would be fun to do with our students on site too.  I'm not sure if our 5th grade teachers know all the 'other' fun activities to be had on this site.  Unfortunately,  it did rain this day so our trip was cut a little short.  The great thing to learn here was that there were plenty of areas that were in doors if planning on trip to Fort Snelling.


Check out more about our field trips by searching the #TCWALLSI on twitter.  There are also a lot of images and information on their Facebook page. I would love for you to send links to lesson plans that you think would help support these field trips I will be posting about as well. Have you had a program like this that you were able to support in your classroom?  Send me links, pictures, or stories in the comments.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment