Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Paper Bag Decorations


We have a live tree for the first time ever in my children's lives. My son asked for one last year and we made a deal that we can get a 'real tree' if we decorate the tree with all handmade decorations.  The best deal I have ever made! See my kids are 11 and 13 now and it is getting slightly more difficult to engage them in family activities. They are totally into the decoration creation. 

I love using recycled and reused materials! This particular decoration is quick and easy too! Always a plus. I have two ways to create, one using some sewing stitches, and the other using staples. Other materials for this project will be markers (I love my Posca Pens), a paper bag, scissors, and some stuffing. If you plan to staple, you will need a stapler and maybe some pipe cleaners to hang the ornament.  If you plan to sew you'll want some string, a needle, and a hole punch.


I like to cut one sheet of paper twice as long as I need it. I fold the paper in two before drawing my design. 


Then I used a pencil to outline a design. 


With my pens, I add the decoration to the paper. I like to have some brown showing from the paper bag to highlight the fact that it's recycled materials. Once this step is done I trim off one side of the design. I leave the side that is folded so the two sheets of paper are joined while I start to sew the edges. 


I used a thin paper punch (1/16) to make holes through both papers in an equal distance of each other.  


I used a whip stitch to sew the paper together but a running stitch would be just as efficient.  I typically start at the top and leave a long 'tail' so that I can use the end to hand the ornament later.


Then I trim off the rest of the paper now that one half is secured with the stitches.  Now I finish off the design with holes around the other half. 


Before closing up the ornament with your stitches, fill the papers with a little stuffing.  I had some in my 'inventory' so decided to use that, but shredded paper would work as well. Be creative and look at what you already have available to you.


Then finish the stitches. Both tails (ends of the string) would be at the top of the ornament. Simply tie a loop at the top to create a place to hang your ornament.


A second way to make a similar design is using staples instead of a string. For this option, I like to use wire to make the hanger. This works well for younger kids, or if these are the supplies you have. 


We have a good start to our tree now. The Hahn family will continue to add homemade decorations to the tree throughout the month!


No comments:

Post a Comment