Saturday, November 27, 2010

Shapescapes



This is my favorite thing in Kindergarten so far this year. We made Shapescapes. I had the kids use their 4 shape they have to learn in Kindergarten to create scapes, such as landscapes, cityscape, and seascape.



Here we have the landscape. I gave them the work horizon line early in this unit. The used it in all three scapes. The landscapes used the circles.



Cityscapes was all about squares and rectangles. These shapes are hard for young hands.



Then, triangles. As you can see we changed the medium a bit. We used markers, and colored paper. Cutting and gluing skills were used to make their seascape.




Finally, we place them all together in a book. On the back of the cover there was an art note covering all the words and concepts this book covered. I handed this back to the teachers to hand out during conferences. On each book I tried to write a little personal art note. It is a lot of work for 100+ kindergartners, but it is something I would cherish as a parent, so I make the time.

The best thing about this project is you set it up and you have 4 to 5 hours of work ready to go and prepped. Try it out, you'll love it!

4 comments:

  1. I'll have to remember this approach when I work with kindergarteners later this year. I love the personal parent communication (and I'm sure your parents loved it too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mrs. Hahn,
    I just found your blog today and I've added it to my reader.
    I'm a kindergarten parent - Kaylee just loves Art class!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is quickly becoming one of my favorites to check- and as a fellow blogger, I read LOTs of blogs! Way to go. Keep the ideas coming and the short and quick posts are effective. You really seem to be finding your groove.

    Where was this lesson a month ago? Too late! I needed another Kindergarten lesson for shape. This would be a wonderful way to review the shapes. Had you ever thought of sharing with us the text you put on the back cover?

    Thanks again for everything!
    Jessica Balsley

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sweet thing Jessica! Thanks so much. I can start sharing some of my art notes. They are just reviewing my objectives. If you want this one I can send it your way. Thanks again for the wonderful message. It made me smile!

    ReplyDelete