Friday, June 24, 2011

LEGO art

My husband loves to work with wood. Wood is his medium. Matisse love to watercolor, her medium is paint. Sawyer, his medium of choice, LEGOs! I have been watching my boy put blocks together for years and with this new room, his OWN room, I wanted to help him make feel as if he belongs.


As you can see I bought a couple of LEGO bases. They are 10x10 inches. I had my husband cut a couple of 12x12 inch boards. I painted each to match the room and glued (with a strong adhesive) the base to the boards. I bought blocks to match his color scheme from the LEGO store at the Mall of America. If you look on the green, painted square on the right you will see 3M's velcro command strips. I have found out that the strips do not stick well to fresh paint so I think we are going to switch to framing teeth.


Anyway, I think these were pretty successful and I think Sawyer likes them too!

9 comments:

  1. Genius! I'd love to post a link to this on my blog! Such a neat idea.
    www.ayersfamilyhappenings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool. Art for the wall that is beautiful to look at and suits a boy for entertainment! You might have started something with that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome! My husband loves legos too.. we should totally do this when Daria gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful.
    I love the idea of the Legos on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool, and I have to tell you, your son will NEVER outgrow his Legos!

    We have a cottage by a lake, and when my son got older we brought all the Legos and kiddie toys there. Every year, we have our Thanksgiving at the cottage (no TV, no internet, etc) and it is wonderful. After his dinner with his family, my son's best friend visits his girlfriend and then drives the 1/2 hour to our cottage to spend the night with us. The next day, the 2 boys (now 22 years old) climb one of the 46 Adirondack High Peaks. BUT.... here's where Legos come in: after some Scrabble or other board games, and some leftovers and pie, the two of them begin building with Legos, and continue for hours and hours, well after midnight. One year they built flying machines (the friend is into engineering and my son is more "eclectic", so the results were quite different), and another year I awoke to towers that were over 6' tall. So hang onto those Legos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you've never heard of this guy, check him out! Your son might be interested. I'm going to see his exhibit tomorrow. http://www.washburn.edu/main/mulvane/exhibitions/exhibitions-folder/the_art_of_the_brick.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea! How thick are those boards? Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably on inch. The room has changed since... so they are no longer on the wall. The boy in the picture is now 11 years old :)

      Delete