Saturday, May 3, 2014

Abstract Cartoons

I was inspired by Don Masse post on Abstract Cartoons many months ago.  I was so excited to finally try it out with a small group at the arts alliance.  What a hoot!  I had my K Art look at realistic vs abstract art in the art gallery at the Elk River Arts Alliance to start the class off.  We talked about the difference between the two styles of art.  Then I had the kids work in teams to match up the following images.



I asked the K's why they thought each of them went together.  They had not problem explaining that it was because of color, shape and line... GREAT... they brought me right into talking about the elements of art.  Then I gave them each a inspiration cartoon.  We used construction paper to cut out shapes to represent their cartoon. 


This is 'A'.  She is actually a 1st grader and has Mr. Kantor for an art teacher.  I didn't know it but they had talked about abstract art in their art class.  She really got it and was willing to move her shapes around to create a very abstract work. 


  

This is 'B'.  He is a K student and found abstract very difficult to be 'abstract'.  He wanted it to 'look' right.  I got him to 'shake it up a bit' by putting the eyes a little off from one another but that was as far as it was going to go.


What do you think?  Please take a minute to answer these questions about when to teach abstract art to students. 





8 comments:

  1. I think you can start abstracting in K, but it may be easier to start with a simpler subject than something with a body/face. For example, my K's did a fantastic job abstracting nature with an Alma Thomas inspired work. I did this lesson too in 4th and even at that age, some of the kids resisted moving parts around. I like the way you had them make the connection between the real one and the abstract with your K's - I could see at that point possibly having them divide their paper into fourths and draw one piece in each box, maybe that would help them transition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GREAT conversation!! Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. I love the fact that a blog can be a PLC!

      Delete
  2. Yes Abstraction is really hard for Kindergarteners because they are just starting to grasp reality! I don't know it's hard for all of them we I am! I think starting with realism is always best like you did! I LOVE your worksheet… do you mind if I copy your idea???? for the worksheet. My students are so funny about people using their ideas I'm trying to get that word (biter) out of our art room!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to use the worksheet Erica. Thanks for asking, but I'm always willing to share with you. You share so much with me (and the blogging world). Here is my google doc...

      https://docs.google.com/document/d/10B6ND1d76nqj2VJC4Pnp_Z_ba_wLrMKWkVEOsqfRVws/edit?usp=sharing

      Thanks for participating in the conversation!

      Delete
    2. PS. I have this in a plastic sheet so they can use wet erase markers. That way I can use the worksheet again!

      Delete
  3. it's never too early to start abstracting! It doesn't have to be of the non-objective variety, but I tie in a lot of abstraction from the get go. When I look at designers and illustrators with my kinders we talk about how some of them use geometric forms to create the creatures or plants in the work. The kids can identify that the characters look different than usual. For me, I love incorporating abstraction in my curriculum because it allows those kids who are hard on themselves when a drawing doesn't look right, to create something that is going to look "weird" or different and not be as stressed about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that in you Mr. Masse. I bet you really enjoy abstract art:) I appreciate your thought on allowing students to feel 'safe' with abstract art. Thanks again for this great lesson idea!

      Delete
  4. I definitely talk to my kinders about abstraction... but I've done a project very similar to this with my 5th graders! Love seeing how well the kindergarteners did with it, maybe I need to move my lesson down a few grades. :)

    ReplyDelete