Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Apron Challenge


Well Cassie Stephens, I did it... I made an apron for the first day of School.  For those of you who don't know Cassie is hosting a Apron Sew-Along.  How cool is she.  She not only creates beautiful outfits for herself but encourages others to create as well.  A true art teacher is you ask me. I wanted to post this today to celebrate the first day of school with a new outfit (apron) and to highlight the point that there is still time to participate.  (click here to see how).  I didn't follow the directions of Cassie completely because I created some of my own parameters (or should I say my husband highly encouraged me to have these parameters...)  I had to use the fabric that I already had in my house.  This means I was working with some odd shapes and sizes.  I modified a pattern that I have used a lot, called Domestic Goddess Apron by Amy Butler.  


I was inspired by this fabric above (will update the name of it when I get home today). I thought it was so sweet but haven't had the project that would show off this large print.  I used the Salvage to help pick out the rest of the colors for the apron.  The selvage is the finished edge of the fabric that sometimes has information and color dots on it.  As you can see I tried to match some of the colors in the patterned fabric. 


Cassie, I loved having the encouragement to sit down and sew this weekend.  I appreciate the challenge and truly love my new apron.  Thank you!


I'm not the only one celebrating the first day of school today.  My mini's are nervous and excited for the day.  I guess I can relate.  New school, new kids, new routines.  Here we go!

3 comments:

  1. I finished my apron too! Just need to photograph it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say how cute yours is - I love the style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! I'm so glad you participated -- I love the style of apron you created. And you look so happy to be wearing it! Speaking of happy, those kids are so stoked to be heading to school. I love their big grins -- made me laugh and smile. I can't wait for our great big apron group photo at NAEA, yippie!!

    ReplyDelete