Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Mix 100 Colors



We recently celebrated 100 day at Hassan (100 days of school).  So for my 3rd grade I started teaching them about intermediate colors.  Mixing colors is one of the BEST ways to learn about color theory... So that is what we did.  3rd graders reviewed the primary and secondary colors.  As a table the students were able to mix on their pallet to create 100 different colors.  I only gave the students the primary colors and black and white.


The first day I gave them a little pallet to mix on.  It did one of two things... It was a cute little mess like the one above, or a hot mess liek the one below.


I asked students to apply the paint in order if they wanted to, or they could place the paint in a more random fashion.



To fix the small pallet mixing area, I placed down a large sheet of plastic in the middle of the table.  The image below is my St. Cloud University, Art 396 class also participating in the activity.  This really is an activity that can translate to many age levels.


We couldn't decide what was more beautiful, the 100 colors on the paper or on the pallet.


This great activity was inspired by Teach Kids Art.  Great blog, I encourage you to check it out.




No comments:

Post a Comment