Thursday, April 23, 2015

Picnic Weavings


This was a fun project that I did with my 1st grade to create a wonderful background for a music program coming up.  These picnic themed weavings were the first paper weaving that I did with my 1st grade this year.  We always end the year in art class with a yarn weaving in 1st grade.  I used all of Cassie Stevens GREAT tips on how to teach student to weave with paper (click here to see the first part of paper weaving... give yourself about 2 hours to look a the rest of her tutorials).  I have been teaching weaving for a long time but it is so great to pick up new ideas and techniques from such an experienced teacher.

Here are a couple of tips that I would like to share with you about this project... 


The above little tip comes from Tana Puppe, an Art Teacher from my district, and author blog Art Projects from MN Art Gal.  She shared that she places a strip of tape on the back of papers when she wants her students to embellish with yarn.  This strengthens the paper.  After the tape, she punches the holes.


I taught how to do the yarn 3 times using this large, cardboard hole.  I explained it once.  I explained it twice, and then I had the students tell me what to do ONLY USING THEIR ACTIONS!  They can not use words.  They would show me an actions, I would to it and they would shake their heads yes.  The action of teaching and moving puts it into their brains.


The plates were Styrofoam.  I used this because I wanted something sturdy and something that would not warp when lots of glue touches it.  I let the kids use scrap paper and any left over string that they might have had left over.


I only let kids get one piece of string at a time.  This keeps the line short and the kids moving around the room.  There is always 'Active' learning going on in the Hassan Art Room.  I think that is important to create an environment of creativity.


One more tip... I placed a blank label on the finished work and asked them to sign it.  I think it is the best method so far to teach kids to 'sign' their work, but also to give them a goal of where it's appropriate.





No comments:

Post a Comment