Friday, June 19, 2015

Expanding the Classroom Walls, Minnesota Landscape Arboretum



I was so excited to see that we were able to visit one of my favorite places in Minnesota.  The Minnesota Landscape Arboretum.  My family and I are members and visit often.  For this field trip class we spent a lot of time in the Educational Center.  They have a kitchen, interactive greenhouse, and lots of learning activities both inside and out.  It was explained to use that the learning center had areas for babies, toddlers, elementary, middle and high school students. They thought of everything and have a TON of 'natural' fun for all ages.  Below you see the beautiful gardens.  These are designed for not only kids planting and learning, but also to demonstrate what one can do in a garden at home.  


This is kid tested and parent approved.  This is one of the most popular places for my kids.  It's an area that uses only nature to create play.  We go here and spend hours at this space.  My kids love it.





I know... Can you see what I mean?  Look at this, it gives kids permission to play with sticks and create.  It cries out, USE YOUR IMAGINATION!  How could you not have fun here?





Look... There's even an outside kitchen set?  Who doesn't want to play with that?


OK, so if that wasn't enough.  Right now they have several sculptures made from legos throughout the grounds. AWESOME sculptures.  It was fun to find a few of them to share with you.







Stunning, Right?  OK... how could we use this in our art room.  Well there are a million ways that I can support the learning going on at the Arboretum with what is going on in my classroom.  One thing that the instructors explained is that there are many programs, so I would like to know what one my grades would be visiting.  Programs such as Pumpkins, Japanese Gardens, and over all plant fun.  I automatically go to observational drawing when I think of this site but I think that's just because that is what I love to do on the grounds.  I could also see a sculpture day with legos and other blocks after visiting the grounds.  What are your thoughts?




Check out more about our field trips by searching the #TCWALLSI on twitter.  There are also a lot of images and information on their Facebook page. I would love for you to send links to lesson plans that you think would help support these field trips I will be posting about as well. Have you had a program like this that you were able to support in your classroom?  Send me links, pictures, or stories in the comments.  Thanks!

1 comment: