Monday, June 22, 2015

Expanding the Classroom Walls, Woodland Nature Cener



The Wood Lake Nature Center was a gem found in the center of Richfield, MN.  It is so strange for me to see a Nature Center in the middle of road construction and detours.  The sounds might be different than being in the middle of the woods but the learning can be replicated.  

Here we were able to do pond studies.  We analyzed the findings using some sheets that identified many of the common specimens found.  Our guide also explained some tracking activities as well as many other science based activities that take base. 

I continued to consider what activities could truly be applicable in my content area.  I continue to go back to observational drawing. Drawing some of the creepy pond specimens, or examining a leaf for replication.  Draw backs (really the plus side) to this site is they cap their numbers at 15.  Perfect for learning, but not conducive for our mass amounts of students that we teach at my school.

Check out more about our field trips by searching the #TCWALLSI on twitter.  There are also a lot of images and information on their Facebook page. I would love for you to send links to lesson plans that you think would help support these field trips I will be posting about as well. Have you had a program like this that you were able to support in your classroom?  Send me links, pictures, or stories in the comments.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment