Monday, August 3, 2015

#ProcessPigs, Notan Paper Cutting



This Process is paper cutting.  In fact, it's a Japanese paper cutting called Notan.  A Notan celebrates symmetrical balance.


I started this project out by getting all the materials I would need.  I did a little preplanning to make sure that this project is going to be layed out the way I wanted it to be and then I drew it out on my black sheet of paper.  You can see I used white chalk pencil to make sure that the design was visible.


Here is one of the first cuts.  You can see I cut around the outside of the head and flipped it over.  I only drew half of a head but when I flip the cut-out head over, it makes a full, symmetrical, pig head.




I recorded much of the process.  I had the iPad taking pictures every 5 seconds as I worked on this Notan.  Check out the video below.


A photo posted by Nic Hahn (@minimatisseart) on

No comments:

Post a Comment