Friday, December 11, 2015

Printing: Shaving Cream Prints



I have implemented Shaving Cream Prints into my classroom and boy are my kids loving it!  For those of you who don't know what a shaving cream print is, I want to give some examples, show you the supplies, explain how I implemented this into my classroom, and some of the learning I had along the way.


Here are the supplies for a shaving cream print.  The image below is the 'station' box I will have for my students now that they have been trained in on how to create shaving cream prints. 


It consist of an ice cream bucket with a plastic liner...


...plastic scrapers, toothpicks, and pallet knives...



...and of course shaving cream and liquid watercolors.


I have created a couple of videos explaining the process. This first video is just a quick timelapse of a shaving cream print.  The second is an explanation for my students that was quick and very specific to their lesson.  The third was how mean I am to my coworkers.  As they came into my class for a meeting I had this all setup and I said, 'We are going to do an art project first and I'm going to record it".  I know, totally mean... but the kids LOVED seeing their other teachers making art.







So As you can see in the image below... I started out using the method demonstrated in the videos.  This is where they take the liquid watercolors and splattered it onto the cream.  This was problematic because students would take the colors and put move them closer to themselves (this meant they were farther away from someone else).  It caused some conflict for sure.


The bottles have been a better solution for sure.  I have explained that students don't want to squeeze the bottle but rather let the drips come slowly.  So far this is a better solution and it's working for multiple days... whereas the other was used for one day and in fear of it getting spilt, I would mix new colors every class.



You don't have liquid watercolors? No worries, use food coloring.  I water down the watercolors and the food coloring when using it.  Sometimes it's nice to use food coloring because that's something that students have at home often and can practice outside of class.



I have a lot of examples of what students are doing with these shaving cream prints and I would love for you to investigate them all on our Creatubble, MiniMaitsse Global Artist Trading Card Gallery.  The image below is one that I made in my AOE Class.  It's called, "Koi in Pond" and I used shaving cream prints, bubble wrap prints, and puffy paint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment