I have a lot of outside fun planned for my last couple days of art class but mother nature has been teasing us with a chance of rain almost every day. This means that I had to come up with a back-up lesson. Thanks to my amazing online tribe (via Facebook, Blogs, and Twitter) I have a plan... a Fish Surprise. This clever drawing is magic for all age levels and it's a great make-and-take in one hour.
Ways to challenge your students after trying a fish might be to give them the following challenges or prompts.
- Can you make your fish doing something other than eating something else?
- Can you use this idea of expanding in a different way? A different animal or object?
- What other mediums could you use for this?
- Could you make any of this project 3-D or pop up?
- Could you make a series or book with this idea?
First-grade example of this lesson in one hour.