Thursday, May 12, 2016

Transfer Print- Shape Review Game


As the students came in today, I explained that we were going to play a little shape review game.  I gave them a small sheet of paper and asked them to draw a 'challengeing' shape and a number 1, 2, or 3. They were asked to keep it secret and to place this shape in a bucket when finished.   

After the shape was delivered to the bucket, I gave them each a new sheet of 8 1/2 by 11-inch copy paper. They were to fold the paper in half and color one-half in with oil pastels leaving 'no white spots' behind.  This design did not matter, just had to be filled up with bright, bold oil pastels. 



I then had them fold the paper back on itself to 'hide the oil pastel'.  I would draw a shape from the bucket and say the shapes name out loud, then the number.  They were to draw that shape as many times as the number indicated on the clean side of the paper (image below). 


I continued to do this until we got through all the shapes.  Students drew the shapes large and small filling up the whole page.  The fun part was the BIG reveal when the paper was opened up and the transfer print was revealed. 


Students found this to be magic.  I have had many students explain that they went home and made more with crayons.  Music to an Art teachers ears. 

1 comment: