Wednesday, January 24, 2018

They All Saw A Cat- Two Way to Create


I'm catching up with a couple of things from this school year that I just haven't had the opportunity to celebrate. These cats were created earlier this year by the 2nd and 3rd graders.  We did them for our Art to Remember Fundraiser. They turned out wonderful and was a hit with our parents who purchased the products. 


I created this lesson last year and shared it with Art to Remember who has the entire lesson and all the downloads on their website (click here).


I started by reading a book called, They All Saw a Cat by Brendan Wenzel. It's a great book about perception. If you don't have this one, you should think about getting it.  It's beautiful, both in concept and in imagery.


I have taught this lesson many different ways. I have done a very structured version the Art to Remember lesson plan because I wanted the final project to be universally successful. In the past, however, I have taught my students in a more choice based way. This plays into the book a bit better because we can talk about perception a bit more. Both ways were successful and fun for the students.



For the Art to Remember projects, I used tempera cakes and construction paper crayons. These mediums made for a bold image on the ordered products. 


These cats were wonderful and I have heard the excitement from parents over and over.  I heard student exclaim, "This is my favorite Art Project I have ever made." Yes!! That is music to this Art Teachers ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment