Friday, February 5, 2016

Movie #Crush


I totally had a different plan for my movie crush.  I brought the kids to see Kung Fu Panda 3 for the opening weekend.  I like the other two but I was not expecting to have a couple of teaching 'take-aways' from this movie!  I walked out of this one with some real inspiration.  Never know where you are going to be inspired to be a better teacher and/or person.

The first quote that made me shake my head yes was in the voice of Dustin Hoffman as Shifu.  His character is so thoughtful and simple eloquent. He said, "If you only do what you can do, you will never be more than you are." Umm, yes, you heard it people.  Listen to the cartoon... I mean really, print this out and place it on your mirror to remind yourself every day.  This movie talked about persevering, trying something new, being able to fail first. It aligned with the very intellectual books and articles that I feed my soul with all the time. It was a kids version of #mindset.

And then this, "I don't want to teach you to be like me.  I want to teach you to be you." I might not have that verbatim because it was dark in the theater and I didn't have a pen, or a phone... anyway, this is from memory.  But the idea is there.  Jack Black as Po is instructed to become the teacher.  He tries to teach the way he thinks he should.  It bombs!  He did it the way he has seen other teach.  He had to do it in his own way.  He decided that his pupils didn't have to be like him, but rather, he trained them to be good at what they were already interested in.  WHAT, what?? You mean to say Po, we should find the strengths in our students and foster them?  What a very good idea.

Anyway, for these reasons I have chosen Kung Fu Panda 3 as this year's Movie #Crush.

No comments:

Post a Comment