Monday, June 7, 2010

Art Trading Cards...


I read about Art Trading Cards from School Arts Magazine. This last year I experimented on one 1st grade class. As a warm up, in the beginning of each class, students would get a trading card and look at the SmartBoard to see what the letter of the day is. They write the letter (capital and lower case) in the corner. They then would draw a small image to represent the letter. It took a whole year to get the notebook lesson completed but I will use it for all 1st grades next year. It was nice to break up the hour with a routine.


At the end of the year I handed back all the cards and the kid could keep them or trade them. It was fun and a great wrap up day!

9 comments:

  1. What a great idea. The cards are so cute and even better, they are a set. Thanks for sharing this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barbara! I love this project and can't wait to improve on it next year. You are very kind to me with your comments! Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea - I will remember this one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you have a smart board! Love how this lesson looks on it. I am writing grants this summer. I bought a projector but don't have a smart board. Do you use it a lot? Is it the best thing ever or to you have to try to incorporate it? What kind of programs do you use with your smart board most? Sorry for the game show of questions! Just trying to weigh options.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love my smart board. Have you ever heard of an airliner or tablet? You may want to look at that. If you have a projector you can use this in a similar way. You may also want to look into a wireless mouse. I use my smartboard everyday. We got it through curriculum review and every art teacher in the district has one. We all us it, and have a shared Wiki were we share lesson plans and ideas. There are a million things you can do with it and if you want to talk more about it I would be happy to answer questions. Email me... NicholecHahn@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy that you posted this again. What a great way to start the class and also end the year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know this is an old post but do you have a post about how to get started with ATC? I love the idea and I am new to being an art teacher. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the alphabet as a jumping off point for the little ones.

    ReplyDelete