Monday, September 5, 2016

Publishing Station - Seesaw


I have been reading the book Originals by Adam Grant.  I have strung out this book for the last couple of weeks and I'm so glad I have.  It has really given me time to process the words and reflect on them.  One message that I have implemented in my classroom is procrastination.  I am NOT a procrastinator in any way shape or form.  I can not just turn into one either.  For example, I did a little Christmas shopping over the holiday weekend.  So procrastinating on purpose is challenging for me. With my room and classroom philosophy this year, I have procrastinated big time.

I walked into my classroom the first day not knowing how I would arrange it.   I chose to move the table to the edges of the room, I'm creating little pockets of learning.  In doing so I did not have enough room for a Seesaw station. 

What is Seesaw?? It's an app that becomes a digital portfolio and communication tool between students and parents.  It can also be used in a variety of other ways such as assessment or connecting your classroom with others.  If you don't know this app, it's worth checking out. We will be a 'Seesaw School' for Kindergarten through 5th grade.


My friend Mrs. Knight has posted an awesome resource for Seesaw on her Teachers pay Teachers page and it saved me a lot of time (click here). It gives the steps for students to record their work on their own.


As I mentioned, I didn't want to give us space for this publishing stations so I sat on it... and sat on it... deciding what to do.  The day before I had completed a 'Connect with Mrs. Hahn' Bulletin Board and hung it up in the display case outside my room.  I really wanted to have my business cards available for  parents so I was brainstorming with my husband how to do it with the glass that covers the display case.

Plus I really wasn't thrilled with the results of the board with the glare of the glass.  My husband said, 'Just removed the glass. LIGHT BULB!! This is another point in the book Originals, allow 'non-experts' to solve problems.  His very obvious answer to me was not one that I could come up with on my own.  Glass?? Remove?? But there has always been glass there... so... that's the way it's made to be.  His fresh look on my problem solved not only my business card dilemma but also my publishing station situation without even knowing it at the time.  


Instead of taking up learning space in my room. I moved the station outside my room.  This has done a couple of things.  It has allowed a space made for display to be used as learning space.  It will allow the surrounding classrooms around me to use this station for the work being done in their classes. The sleeving is perfect for the iPad to sit on and can be adjusted. And it looks inviting for passers-by, it will show off the learning and self-publishing skills of my classroom throughout the year.


I wanted to make sure two students would be able to be at this station at a time.  By adding a black sheet of paper with a sign on it and a small notch strategically place for the camera, students have no option but to place the iPad in the optimum picture taking position.  The height is perfect for the littles that I work with and it forces two stations for students to easily see they are to share the space. 



There are a couple more additions to be made to the station but for now, I'm really excited with the results.  I'll be sure to report any glitches in the system as well as the station as it's being use.  I'm excited to see it in action.  

1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous idea! I love how you set everything up and how clear your instructions are. This is not only a great time saver for you, but gives your students ownership for this process. I'm sure they try just a little bit harder so they can have a great photograph of their work.

    ReplyDelete