Sunday, November 25, 2018

Can Can Garland

Several years ago I started collecting cans for a Process Pig I created (see this previous post). I ended up with some 'extra inventory' and this has been sitting in my basement for quite some time. Today, I decided to use up some of that inventory in the basement... and made some 'Can Can Garland' for the holiday. 


These are the materials and tools I needed; some tin from cans, a Fiskar thick cut circle press, a 1/16th hole punch, string, darning needle, and some time... 


I cut the tin cans into flat sheets and cut them into circles with the Fisker press.  I show this in the video but didn't get any images of this step. Then I add 4 holes in the circle with a hole punch as shown in the image below. 


To string the circles together, I lined up the whole punches together.  I went up through the bottom and back down on each side of each circle. The string is more visible on the back as shown below. The video gives a better description of this step as well. 

 

 

When finished stringing the circles, the garland will be curled up.  I simply pressed along the string bending the tin just a bit. This flattened an allowed the garland to lay correctly when hung. 


I strung about 25 circles to equal about a yard of garland. I loved the variation of colors and the way it ended up hanging. They are festive and engaging for the viewer.  I find that you want to go look at the art on the tin to discover the brand and type of can. It's a beautiful conversational decoration.


The following video is a better description of the steps to making Can Can Garland.

No comments:

Post a Comment