Saturday, May 2, 2020

Become a Curator: Floral Design


If you choose to do this challenge you will be finding a work of art online and creating an arrangement with flowers that is inspired by the work. The arrangement can be using actual flowers, or by drawing the flowers instead. To find an Art Work to be inspired by, I would suggest to look at Google Arts and Cultures online collection.

Every year the MIA (Minneapolis Institute of Arts) has a show in the spring called Art in Bloom. I Adore this Art Show and go every year. Floral Artist from the Twin Cities Area choose an Artwork from the MIA collection to become inspired by and create a Floral Design. This year the Artist created at home and the MIA has created a virtual tour of 'Art in Bloom'. Take a look at the full collection here.






I chose to give it a try too...

My husband had bought me some flowers weeks before, they were ready to be tossed out. I thought that I would instead turn them into a work of art before tossing them in the garbage. I used some Christmas ornaments, toy balls, marbles, and Easter Eggs to glue the flowers on. I also had some fake flowers that I glued onto the spheres as well. 


I was thinking about this work of art. It's called Buddy Balls and it's by Claire Zeisler. I love them. This is a photo I took years ago of the work of art. These things are huge! I wish I could take you there to see them. They are made with fibers, like yarn!! They are giant yarn pom-poms! 


I glued the flowers onto the spheres and arranged them on a plate to look something like the Buddy Balls. 


Another way that Artist addressed the challenge is by looking at an artwork and drawing a picture of a flower. You could do that as well. Find a work of art and draw an arrangement of flowers inspired by the work.  Maybe you use the same colors, or give it the same shape.


This one the artist used both drawing and collage to make their work.



No comments:

Post a Comment