Monday, August 8, 2016

Art to Remember- Self-Portraits


I love doing Self Portraits with students.  Do you know why?? Because they are treasured!  Every parent loves to see the perception of their child's self, the detail that students see, and the sweet... unpracticed hand of a young artist. I have been teaching portraits for a long time to my young artist.  I always do the same lesson and 'flipped' (recorded) this lesson many years ago to share. As of right now that video has 244,188 views.  I know that teachers use this video in their classroom.  That video was created in 2011 and I thought it was time for an update.  I have decided to do self-portraits with my 1st and 2nd-grade students this year for Art to Remember.

Here is the new PDF that shows the steps to creating a self-portrait (click here)


Here is the updated video of self-portraits that I have created for my students this year.


As far as supplies go, this one is easy.  You will need the new crayons that your students are so excited to use a the beginning of the school year, a pencil, eraser, sharpie, and a mirror.  The paper I will be using from what is provided through Art to Remember.  I will also have to make some tracers for each table to share for a good start to the head.


The directions for drawing the face are clear in both the lesson plan and video.  The images below might be a quick reference for you when teaching.  or you can print them off and let the kids look at them for reference as well.


Coloring can be a lot of work for this young age group.  LOTS of encouragement and praise needs to be given for 'getting rid of the white spots'. When choosing colors for the skin, be sure to emphasize that there isn't a skin color... there is many skin colors.  I have created a color testing station in the past (click here



For some great sample projects, I have posted images below from past students.  Feel free to use them for discussion in your classroom.

Prompts: 
  • What makes these self-portraits strong? 
  • What do you think the artist is most proud of?
  • Do you think the artist took his/her time?
  • What could have the artist improved on?
  • What do you think the artist needs to practice?
  • Was there anything the artist missed?

Samples from a post in 2010 (click here for more)






These examples are from older students (click here to see more)  



Here are some that I ran with a small group at a local Art Alliance. (Click here



I feel that these self-portraits are going to be a hit for the fundraiser this year.  They turn out so wonderful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment